The trend for later motherhood is continuing to grow as more women are opting to become mothers in their early 40s or late 30s due to their own individual reasons. Whatever might be the reason for getting pregnant after 40 has become more frequent and rates have been more than doubling in the last decade. Even though the fertility rates drastically decrease in women after the age of 30, Thanks to advancement in medical technology has bestowed a boon for infertility couples or older women in the form of IVF.
The studies reveal that women in their 40s have a 40%-50% chance of conceiving within a year with the help of Assisted Reproductive Technology. Even though not all ART techniques are suitable, only an expert and experienced gynaecologist can recommend the most suitable option.
OPTIONS AVAILABLE IN ASSISTED REPRODUCTIVE TECHNOLOGY
Based on the physical examination and specific fertility blood tests that measure the number of available eggs and various other hormonal parameters, a gynaecologist can suggest the below-mentioned options that include:
- Fertility drugs that can assist with natural ovulation
- Intrauterine Insemination process that works by injecting the partner’s sperm into the uterus
- Mild IVF uses fewer drugs to retrieve a small number of high-quality eggs from women
- Conventional IVF uses an ovarian stimulation mechanism to retrieve the optimum number of eggs required for fertilization
- In the case of women whose ovarian reserve is minimal, even egg donors can also be recommended.
- Generally, natural IVF or mild IVF is preferred for women in older women above 40 years.
Below are certain lifestyle changes that might help women increase their chance of pregnancy along with fertility treatments.
- Work along with your gynaecologist to understand the dos and don’t of fertility treatment
- It is always suggested to take your vitamin supplements to support your pregnancy
- Maintain a proper body mass index with regular exercises
- Cut down on unhealthy junk food and consume more iron and protein-rich food
- It is advisable to quit smoking and drinking
- It is suggested to manage stress by practising meditation and relaxation exercises.
Every woman has the right to fulfil her dream of being a mother despite her age.